The title of this blog is rather redundant now... it's no long "inner" ramblings, but feel free to read my rambles anyway and suggest any given comment to make me move on. I am probably too busy not caring anyway.

Thursday, 4 October 2012

That red dwarf episode?

Red Dwarf X. Yeah that's my subject. I been eagerly awaiting this series and the first episode...
Well I am just going to jump straight in to it. It was a good episode. It was funny and was just as compelling as previous series. But...
I am sure there is one uber fan out there who will explain all this. But currently I can't get behind the latest series of red dwarf, including back to earth. It's comedic. But it just lacks one thing which series I to VIII had.
...consistency. Something which is vital. Fans can find it very difficult to follow something if there is not consistency. And in this, I find there are 4 problems. Rimmer, Holly, Kochanski, and Red Dwarf. It is like noone watched the last episode of series VIII, Rimmer is left alone on Red Dwarf which is falling apart and then punches Death in the crotch. Hilarious! But what's supposed to happen after that? What happened to Red Dwarf.
Back to Earth was originally supposed to explain this. However it did not, always going on about how series 10 was going to fix everything and was the best yet, and basically was sticking a godly creature in an ice cream. Except what they have done is taken this cone and given it to the fat kid who eat anything just to have friends. That's what this series is, something there to please people rather than be anything of substance. Back to earth was set after series 10. So after 2/3 years of anticipation, series 10 is realised and expected to fill in all blanks. and NOTHING! Way to get me hooked Dave...
Seriously, It would take like 3 lines of dialogues and the whole, why Rimmer is dead, where is Holly and Kochankski and why is Red Dwarf back in it's semi-original state after being attacked by a microbe.
For example Kryten could just go, "sir don't you remember, we went in to the other universe acquired the antidote, formulated it and we rebuilt red dwarf, unfortunately we only found what we thought to be your remains, so the holo unit brought you online, and subsquently the chemical had ate Holly". I dunno something like that! But still, that what's happened in previous series, why not pull that stuff again!!
So unless episode 2 fixes this, I am will not be happy. Ita really funny series, and this episode added to that. but with a lack of continuity like this. It rather more frustrating. Because Decades of waiting only to be left with twoddle is not an ideal way of bring something back to fans.
So in that case, they can smeg off.
Later Ramblers!

No comments:

Post a Comment