The title of this blog is rather redundant now... it's no long "inner" ramblings, but feel free to read my rambles anyway and suggest any given comment to make me move on. I am probably too busy not caring anyway.

Monday, 13 August 2012

Old style time!

hey ramblers! its been a while since I did a blog post on a review. But first an update.
Spent today with Rach and met new people, it was a fantastic day. I have currently scripted my first Vlog, but I am waiting for a day where there is noone in my house and I am ready to stand in a front of a camera.
Still, that neatly brings me on to the topic I want to talk about. The internet. Or more like how we use the internet for file sharing and messaging.
Now I will start off by saying I am pro-file sharing, so this includes, games, music, videos, movies and other such material. Because quite simply, music can be downloaded legally in various formats, but movies, can not be bought and downloaded (at least not notably legally). I believe this is a bad choice on a account of many production companies. Generally, we see trailers to get a taster of movies, we play demos for games, and music we listen to on youtube. We do this to decide whether or not it is worth buying and a large population on the internet will listen to a song on youtube, and after a few listens will go and buy it. I believe the same principle could be applied to films. For example, a studio could put up a movie on their website for a viewer to watch for a limited period, like a cinema, except it is free to watch for the first or second time, or like Iplayer, only up for the period it is online. However after that period, the studio could put a download link for the film and the customer will pay for it in the knowledge they will like it. Not only will this cut down on production costs but it would widely open up a market for smaller films but also boost revenue in larger film companies which use this.
I firmly believe the sample and buy system is a great way to boost marketing on the internet, because anyone is dubious about buying things they don't know about, but sampling something beyond a trailer is a far safer system. And I think it would create more "competitive" film making, music production, etc, etc. As the smaller companies will be able to be noticed, and the big box office films that get large revenue willy probably start to lose out on these films because people who buy their DVDs most likely buy it on review then later dislike it. Though this seems very negative, put it on this spin, if less people buy their awful films, less awful films will be made and quality film making will be pushed forward.

Now I do accept the counter argument to all this. Piracy is a large problem and it needs to be dealt with appropriately. because many people who pirate simply do not have money, or the means to get access to these great entertainment devices. Music is the go to option for people to point out that piracy causes loss of millions. Which I think is complete crap. Because of file sharing, music revenues have actually increased. Itunes, raises millions for many companies, and billions for apple and the larger studios. Smaller, almost unknown, bands get profit in the range of thousands if their followers buy through Itunes or Amazon MP3, Alex Day is a great example of this.
Games also had this happen. Amazon and ebay were under pressure some years ago because used games were being sold, which is actually a breach of the terms and agreements on the games, but the companies were complaining that because of this, their games were being pushed around and they were losing out. Then came along Valve. Which pointed out the folly of this and provided a far better solution.
I shall paraphrase. "You can not stop piracy, no matter how many laws there are, people will always find a way to share files and be one step ahead of the law. So instead of fight piracy, why not provided a better service, because that is why piracy happens, people will constantly need better services"
And from that, Valve gave birth to steam,  the application that allows you to 'subscribe' to games and is sold at far better prices than going in to town and buying a game you don't like. By providing a better service, I believe that piracy went down considerably, games became accessible to everyone and the smaller companies suddenly became profitable, of note is supergiant games, with the game bastion. It is a quality game made by a group of seven people.

So if providing better services goes to show that smaller companies can make profits and get a name for them selves because of the internet, I am far more open to file sharing. Don't knock the internet, because at it's core, it is a beautiful idea. A place where people can connect, and the HTML source, remains free of charge, and the inventor could have patented it, but instead he released it and now the internet is considered to the new utility. It is needed. And as long as companies are willing to find new and better services, then the internet can only be a bonus to various economic growth and governments have to utilise this as well.

Everything comes at a price, but I believe the internet can be used to create a far better working environment for everyone.



So how was that ramblers? it was one my old style rambles! if you liked, then feel free to like or comment and I was going to write down subscribe, but if your reading this, then you probably already have!
Ini is out!

No comments:

Post a Comment