It's time I talked about that Doctor who episode. So if someone asked to summarise it in one word I would tell them to shut the hell up, However if pressed I would go on to say, "undecided". Not because I am undecided on what word but more because thats the whole tone of the the episode. The whole thing felt like a "Ohh you know what that is!" situation when you are clearly trying to grab some concept. And this only occurs in veterened shows, where it has pander to both new audiences and carry on with the old. And this episode kind of shows why this is a problematique mix. As it doesn't quite introduce the guy in the begining, he is kind of just there. All I know is he was a detective and he got caught by the weeping angels. (Oh yeah spoiler alert, the weeping angels are back) Well, no thats not a spoiler, because if were stupid enough not to watch the previous episodes 'next time' or even remotely considered this was supposed to be an episode about another creature you can go and leave right now. Because from the word go this episode just goes on and on about. Look that statue just moved!
That's what this episode lacked! It lacked any real suspense. When the Angels originally appeared there scare factor was based on them being unknown, and that still continues on when I rewatch that episode.
So although Moffat was quick to introduce ideas in this episode he never decided on the tone of the whole episode. The first 5 minutes of it are quite suspense filled. well they would be if the angels were only hinted at rather than blatantly shown! Then the next 10 minutes are a mixture of what ever it is matt smith feels! Sort of jovial thing but many 'layers'. OH Who Am I kidding! There is only 1 emotion that man does perfectly well and thats mopy! He is a good actor, he jsut does not take after David or chris. I know Im susposed to take him in himself, but still, he doesn't do the role justice!
Still, this whole feelings roles on through the episode, never deciding on a tone.
1 thing that struck me particularly well was that the episode felt like it had ALOT of stuff cut from it. The detective was there to establish the story, but it felt cut, the giant statue of liberty angel, felt like that was cut back, and this goes on.
Now there is something interesting. The doctor mentions when things are written and read they can not be changed. And in the beginning there is the man writing his story. So all of this is really interesting and captivating, it just doest not work very well if this all feels cut down!
I would love to see and uncut version to really see what he wanted to have happened.
Still, the ending was great, it captured the moment perfectly and was sad to see, and essentially it was very human and very sweet. I would have cried were that the other things weren't annoying me,
So was it a good episode? yes! It was an amazing episode, if that niggle of tone and compression of episode were removed, like in an uncut version of this episode, it would have been greater than amazing, if not perfect.
So i am going back to hammer away at that bass now! I think i'll save that for tomorrow! Later Ramblers!!
No comments:
Post a Comment