The title of this blog is rather redundant now... it's no long "inner" ramblings, but feel free to read my rambles anyway and suggest any given comment to make me move on. I am probably too busy not caring anyway.

Friday, 15 February 2013

The realistic Effect

We are well over half way in to this month, i havn't really connected with the internet recently, so imma fix that...
I got a new Hi-fi, my audio interface is returning to me, and so I am going to resume video making. I am just that cool.
And basically, being ill has put me in to the mood, I need to be more creative and wonderful.
Again, i am just that cool.

I bought a new graphics card for my desktop and now I can play every game I own on full graphics, and i see what i been missing out. All graphics does is add ambience, nothing to special there. But there we go. Graphics add an ambience. Between realism and immersion  it is a difficult thing. To be immerse, we need to be connected to the character, to the environment, Immersion requires us to feel part of the game, book or TV show we are part of.
Which is where realism comes in, the cop out way to be immersed is to add the realistic effect to it. By making the character your supposed to be, the character your watching. The realistic effect means it has to be human. By example, gordon freeman, he is a silent male human. making it easy for any male human to be him. The faceless protagonist is the next step, now we have established that you are human, to be immersed in a standard video game, you are a faceless protagonist with no voice, and you are human.
Thats the basics to generic immersion. By using something that is fairly realistic, you can now add any situation, time period and surrounding and now what you got is an immersive game.

Or at least thats what it was. Games seem to have forgotten what it is to have a cohesive plot, with the idea that being immersed in the game is good. My example of this is saints row 3. A fantastic game, but it seems they forgot what a plot was and it's incredibly disjointed. I find it fun and i love it, but i just wanted some context and that would have completed what was an amazing game!
So thats what I been playing.
Its just that realistic effect is kinda being moved on from, which is good, but it's just the move was in the wrong direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment