The title of this blog is rather redundant now... it's no long "inner" ramblings, but feel free to read my rambles anyway and suggest any given comment to make me move on. I am probably too busy not caring anyway.

Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Make of it what you will. I quite clearly care.

Why hello again. It would seem unless I can summon up a video out of the nether regions, I shant be having a video this month. I guess I could apologise but then again. I can certainly make up for it.
In a few short weeks I shall announce the launch of Come Dine With Students. A project I have avidly been involved with since I joined union TV.
We are literally days from filming the first day and the team is raring to go!
Our Director, Eric, has been working hard with the student union to sort out the forms and candidates and right now the whole project is looking great!
In fact as I write this I have a session of interviews ready to be edited. Because as the Sub Director of Sound I find it my place to make sure that the audio is at it's best quality. And I truly think that I am the one capable of doing it properly at UTV. Because, as the director said earlier today, I don't trust people to do jobs that I can already do, I agree with this fully.
I never trust people to do the job properly, even when being paid to do it, because ultimately the results could have been better and in a world where saying "No" to the result can cause more argument than it is worth; I can only be left thinking, next time I will do it myself.
Prime example is the new trident media (formerly student media, of which UTV is a division) website. It currently has a simple interface which redirects to old pages on the student union website. The new pages have not been released yet. Whilst this is being rectified, slowly, the same style and look of website was produced by other students in half an hour. This is an example of how people can not be trusted to do their jobs properly when paid. But the thing that tips this iceberg off is that there is no website for mobile users. And if it is a mobile version, it is the least user friendly thing I have ever had the displeasure of coming across. I could barely navigate to or from the pages I wanted.
Now as far as rants go it just seems I am angry at a website but this website, whilst created by "external professionals", symbolises why I have this distaste for other working on things. They can get it wrong. And when they get it wrong, they are not to blame as much as they should be because they are going to fix it. Now I accept people fixing things. But as far as many things go, it's hardly a good thing to fix it after it has been released. And that does not bode well in the real world.
Which is exactly why I am taking my job so seriously. If someone else bollocks up the sound, it is now something I can fix before it goes out. Something to be proud of!
I was told to treat every piece of work like it is a big company you are working for and do your best always. I have taken this to heart and I will do it for everything I do.

I guess I am just trying to live up to an expectation that doesn't really exist, but I do hope I make that mentor proud in some way. I at least owe him that much.

In other news. I get old on Monday.
I will be going to party and by the looks of it, I won't be allowed to drink.
But the thing I am most looking forward to, is going home for the weekend. I do hope I see some special people. I might miss the train home if it means an hour or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment